The Public Sector
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
CDC, recognizes that "there is a growing awareness across communities that transportation systems impact quality of life and health." Enhanced transportation options have the benefit of saving lives by preventing chronic disease and increasing access for all. CDC has identified transportation policies that have a positive impact on health.
- The Nuts and Bolts of Making Medicaid Policy Changes: An Overview and a Look at the Deficit Reduction Act (PDF)
The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 included changes to Medicaid that could have an effect on important aspects of the program including - eligibility, benefits and cost-sharing, provider payments and more. In a policy brief the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured review the process of the Deficit Reduction Act.
- Medicaid Benefit Package Changes: Coming to a State Near You? (PDF)
FamiliesUSA offers an analysis of the changes to the Medicaid program as a result of the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 and how these changes could affect your state's Medicaid program and services.
- West Virginia Medicaid State Plan Amendment: Key Program Changes and Questions (PDF) and Health Choices Medicaid Reform: Key Program Changes and Questions (PDF)
Both West Virginia and Kentucky are states that obtained state plan amendments in order to utilize new options granted to states under the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005. The Kaiser Commission detail the changes to these state's Medicaid programs in two separate briefs.
- Medicaid State Waiver Program Demonstration Projects -- General Information
Through waivers and demonstrations states have are granted the flexibility to respond to the needs of their states' Medicaid population. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) provides an overview and detailed information about waivers, including Home and Community Based Services, on their website.
- Fee Schedule for Medicare
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid's (CMS) website includes offers an overview and general information about Medicare fee schedules for various kinds of care including ambulance and skilled nursing care.
- Measuring the Years: State Aging Trends and Indicators
Through this report, the National Governors Association (NGA) takes an indepth look at the upcoming demographic trends which will impact both public health and transportation services.
Long Term Services
- Long Term Services and Supports (.doc)
The Disability Policy Collaboration identifies several congressional proposals that would help to provide improved access to home and community services in this brief.
- Chronic Disease Management in Medicare
This online resource concerning chronic disease management is a result of the Commonwealth Fund's Issue of the Month series, in which an expert answers questions on the topic.
- Covering Health Issues: Long-term Care (PDF)
In the face of the nation's aging baby boomer generation the need for long-term care services will rapidly increase. In a chapter devoted to long-term, the Alliance for Health Reform details past, current and future funding of long-term care services.
- Washington State Department of Health Guidelines for the Safe Transportation of Individuals Who Rely Upon Stretchers and Personal Mobility Devices in Vehicles Other than an Ambulance (PDF)(936 KB)
In 2007, the Washington State Legislature directed the Department of Health (DOH) to develop guidelines to address transport in vehicles other than ambulances.