Mobility Rising: Shaping the Future of Community and Public Transportation
Room 330A, Cobo Center
A two-day seminar in which the mobility field takes the reins in charting its future. the seminar will incorporate three types of activities: presentations on topics that impact transportation's future, a debate on the future of transportation, and, most important of all, audience input into shaping the future and adapting new strategies.
Monday, June 12
9:00 a.m. Welcome
9:30 a.m. The Future of Mobility in Our Communities: Scott Bogren, Executive Director, Community Transportation Association of America
10:00 a.m. Audience input
10:15 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m. Point : Counterpoint: "Community transportation should focus less on providing mass transportation and more on providing customized trips in response to real-time demands."
Moderator: Mark de la Vergne, Chief of Mobility Innovation, City of Detroit
- Rik Opstelten, Office of Mobility Innovation, Federal Transit Administration
- Steve Fittante, Senior Associate, RLS & Associates, Inc.
- Harmony Lloyd, Director of Planning, Innovation, and External Affairs, Mass Transportation Authority (Flint)
- Jon McBride (formerly of Bridj)
11:30 a.m. Audience input
12:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. Broadening the Mobility Umbrella: Mobility as a Service
- What is the Mobility as a Service Concept and How Can it be Applied in Small Urban and Rural Communities? Carol Schweiger, President, Schweiger Consulting LLC.
- Incorporating Demand-Response Services into GTFS, Thomas Craig, Operations Manager, Trillium Solutions, Inc.
- Creating a Mobility Coordination Center, Dwight Mengel, Chief Transportation Planner, Tompkins County Dept. of Social Services, Ithaca N.Y.
2:00 p.m. Audience input
2:30 p.m. Break
2:45 p.m. Emerging Transportation Models and Technology: Making Them Work for Your Customers
- New Models: What Are They and How They Apply to Small Urban and Rural Communities, Charles Dickson, Deputy Director, Community Transportation Association of America
- Microtransit and the Kansas City Experience, Jon McBride (formerly of Bridj)
- Leveraging Local Driver Capacity, Valerie Lefler, President, Liberty Mbility Now
- Try Before You Buy: Creating Effective Bus Routing, Paul Supawanich, Director of Customer Success, Remix
3:45 p.m. Audience input
4:15 p.m. Wrap up for the day
Tuesday, June 13
9:00 a.m. Re-Connecting
9:30 a.m. Aligning Services with Customer Needs
- Ed Benning, General Manager, Mass Transportation Authority (Flint)
- Mike Hall, Director of Special Projects and New Service Development, Hope Network
- Dianna Benaknin, Shared Ride Pilot Program Manager, Central Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
10:30 a.m. Audience input
11:15 a.m. Break
1:30 p.m. Advocating on Behalf of Transportation: Who is the Audience and What are the Most Effective Strategies?
- Scott Bogren, Executive Director, CTAA
- Todd Beutler, General Manager, Cache Valley Transit District
- Dan Dirks, General Manager, Detroit Transit
2:30 p.m. Audience input
3:00 p.m. Break
3:15 p.m. Planning Our Future
4:00 p.m. Closing